SECRETS TO KEEPING YOUR MAKEUP KIT SAFE
BY MARGINA DENNIS
Over the years have I seen posts about makeup artists who have lost their kits, or worse yet, stolen!? Have you ever had the misfortune losing your entire career in one bag? Yea it's happened to the best of us. Sometimes we are so tired all we can do is barely make it to the sofa!
Today on Glossible, Margina Dennis shares her tips and tricks on how to keep your kit safe and what to do if your kit goes missing.
KEEPING YOUR KIT SAFE
Once upon a time, I lost a LABELED bag (with address, phone and email) in a cab that contained my brushes and my grooming kit. That day turned out to be a very expensive cab ride had I not been prepared.
Most of us seasoned pros have thousands of dollars in beauty products we carry about town with us. Having our kit is essential to being able to do our jobs. If we loose our kit we loose the very life of how we earn a living.
In the story of my carelessness, I was still able to go back to the same job the next day and perform without missing a beat. Why? I used my backup brushes and grooming kit. (And no more black bags in dark cabs!) This kind of knowledge comes from experience of knowing how to be proactive as a professional makeup and hair artist.
Today I want to teach you how to be proactive too so you don't have any days of having to turn down jobs.
DO's & DON'T's
- >>Carry homeowner’s/ renter’s and business insurance - This will cost you approximately a few hundred a year for each policy. That way you can file a claim in the event that your kit is stolen. Or have a disaster. Be sure to check with your insurance agent for the best policy to cover you in the event this happens.
- >>Make sure you hang on to your makeup receipts, have an inventory list and take pictures. (And if you are saying, “I’m not charging enough to do that”, then pumpkin, it’s time to give yourself a raise because you are running a business! ☺) You have to prove your receipts to the insurance company. They won't just take your word for it. Keep a document in Google Docs so you can always find it.
- >>If you aren't going straight home, carry your kit inside with you. If that isn't an option, put your kit in your car and then DRIVE to a different location and park so NO ONE has seen you put your makeup in your car. You never know who is watching.
- >>When traveling by air-pack a suitcase. Build a suitcase full of bags and no spill containers to keep your products safe from airline abuse. Adding towels to the suitcase can also be a great way to add extra layers of protection.
- >> Consider Fed Ex for your kit on jobs-If you are traveling and you don't trust the airline, consider insuring your kit and shipping it with Fed Ex. It may cost money but it could save money. Take only what you need.
- >>Don’t carry every single thing you own with you - Most of us carry more than we need. Here is a good reason to lighten your load and keep only things that you need in your kit for the job you are doing. It also saves your back.
- >>Don’t leave your makeup in your car overnight, even it’s in the trunk. Better to be safe than sorry.
- >>Don’t leave your bags unattended at any time. Anywhere. If you are a victim of theft on set then there should be a log of people on set. Never trust a restaurant or bar with your bag either in coat check.
- >>Don't leave your kit out where it can be exposed to cold and heat. It can affect the products in your kit and they won't perform as well as you would like.
- >>Don't worry about the appearance of your kit. Worry about how it will function and keep your products safe and out of harms way. Function trumps looks. (Of course keep it clean.) Keeping your kit sturdy will save you money in the long run. Nothing is worse than replacing hundreds of dollars worth of makeup because your kit itself wasn't sturdy enough.
What are some of your Do's & Don't's of keeping your makeup kit safe!?
Peace & Love!
Margina & Sonia