THE MAKEUP LIGHT VS GLAMCOR
The Makeup Light Vs. Glamcor. Which is better? As a professional makeup artist, lighting is the most important tool a makeup artist can possess. But is it more important than the $10,000 of makeup products you have in your kit? More important than your Naked Eyeshadow Palette?
If you can't see, it doesn't matter how fabulous your makeup products are, you can't make the correct decisions on which products to apply to your client. How can you correctly color match someone's foundation in poor light? Your reputation is at stake, and you need proper tools to do the best job for your client. Don't you?
- Color temperatures over 5,000K are called cool colors (bluish white).
- Color temperatures of 2,700–3,000 K are called warm colors.
The Makeup Light was able to blend using 2 color temperature bulbs into one crisp white light...meaning
Michael is married to Emmy award winning movie makeup artist, Vivian Baker.
Michael created this light for Vivian because she needed a great light to work with in her movie trailers. As technology in filming became more advanced, she needed a light that allowed her to see every small detail of her very demanding work in prosthetics. For the next 2 years, Michael developed a light for her that allows her to see wherever she goes.
Isn't that sweet? Truly a light created out of love.
Here is Vivian on the set of one of her movie 'Jurassic World' and how she set up her makeup lights....this too is my favorite way to set mine up while I work in dark hotels. Suction cup that sucker to the mirror! HA!
Glamcor is a company that creates solutions for makeup artists. In addition to their makeup light, they have bags, kits, brushes, and now a line of color cosmetics.
Glamcor was one of the first companies to bring lighting solutions to makeup artists and makeup artists and Youtubers love them. They do have some really nifty solutions in terms of makeup kits, brush rolls and organizers but the light kit is not one of their better products in terms of lighting temperature. Their lights are neat in terms of the size and weight, but the light itself is not their strongest asset.
A few of my artists would assist me with the Glamcor Light and I always made them turn it off. One of the main reasons I never purchased one was simple:
Why do I want to spend $350+ dollars on a 'blue' light?
As a a makeup artist who shoots photography, I dreamed of something closest to God's light as possible. And that never existed...till now.
THE MAKEUP LIGHT IN ACTION
Here are some photos how I have used both the key light and vanity on location. Don't you love it? I always get people awe in amazement when I bring a light with me. I may have been told how smart I was on several occasions...I dig them.
Now TML has the handy Key Light Kit which I think is a complete game changer. Not only is the light amazing, lightweight and portable, the accessories that come with it that makes it adaptable for any working environment is icing on the cake.
While the Makeup Light may be slightly more expensive than Glamcor, I would happily pay more for it because the light itself is better quality color. The difference in price isn't worth ruining my reputation as a professional makeup artist. It's really that simple.
If you do decide to get The Makeup Light Vanity set up and plan to take it with you on location, I highly suggest getting the carrying case for it. It makes your life so much easier.
Are you a pro makeup artist? They do give industry discounts to working professionals.
THE LINE UP
THE MAKEUP LIGHT
Perfect neutral light. 4800 degrees K. The most neutral light I have found on the market.
- Made especially for makeup artists for film & TV
- LED lights-will not get hot
- Sturdy. Vanities are great for home and studios. Don't worry about your cat knocking it over!
- The Makeup "Key" Light is lightweight and portable for artists on the go.
- The Vanity starts around $620.
- The Key Light starter kit starts at $330.
- Vanities come with or without mirrors.
- The Makeup "Key" Light has many accessories so you can mount it anywhere.
- Compact size. About the size of your iPad.
- More soft focused light so less chance of shadows on the face.
- You can carry it in your makeup kit, or buy the special travel bag.
- LED-Burn 8 hours a day for 17 years and never have to change a light bulb.WOW!
- It has a dimmer, so you can adjust the brightness.
- "Barn Doors" on the vanity to control the direction of light
- Vanity is great for Youtube Videos. Stick your phone and iPad on the mirror and "action!"
- Longer range of light
- Shaves off 15 minutes off each face because I can SEE & work quickly. Especially when doing brows and lashes!
- The key light kit has fancy gadgets so it can go anywhere!
- Use one for your studio and one for your on location biz. Great, sturdy options.
- Cool Light. 5600K. More blue in color.
- Made for makeup artists that travel.
- LED lights-will not get hot
- The Glamcor Vanity starts at $1,100. Their Glamcor Classic Elite Light Kit around $365.
- Glamcor's "arm's" allow you to bend the light around your subject.
- Glamcor's Stand for Youtuber's is nice but not very sturdy. You must buy seperate clips for each device at $25 each.
- You can carry the Glamcor in your bag or buy a separate bag for travel.
- Has a dimmer so you can adjust the brightness.
- Shorter range of light.
- Didn't shave off any time per face.