As with all things makeup, lip pencils come and go in terms of popularity. However, ask any artist worth their salt and you will quickly discover that liner is the key to a polished and professional look. Today, makeup artist Julia Hamilton gives us the ultimate cheat sheet on lip pencils.
How do you know which lip liner to choose? Here are some common formula's to help you decide.
Types of lip pencils:
- Traditional lip pencils-the kind you sharpen.
- automatic lip liners-the kind that you twist.
- matte lipstick crayons-chubby pencils that you sharpen or twist.
- satin lipstick crayons-thin or chubby pencils that you twist or sharpen that are soft to the touch.
- reverse lip liners (clear or flesh toned).
There are 2 things to keep in mind when choosing a lip pencil:
1. The look your'e going for.
2. Your lip shape.
Here are some of the best tips for using different types of pencils:
If your lips are thin:
- traditional lip liner will give you the sharpest line and allow you to extend your lip line where needed. Be sure to sharpen often.
- reverse lip liner is going to prevent bleeding and keep your color in check.
If your lips are dry:
- Lip crayons are a good all in one option for you. They will give you staying power without being too drying
- Reverse liner can be used to soften any edges
- You might prefer an automatic liner to one that sharpens because it will be softer
If your lips are full:
- Lip crayons are a great option to create easy definition
- traditional lip liner can be used to color in the lips underneath a gloss for a long-wear natural look
If you have a big event:
- Use more than one!
- Layering liner, a matte crayon and reverse liner can give you the longest wear
STEP BY STEP
1- Chose a liner in a tone very similar to your actual lip color
2- Start with the cupids bow and the fullest part of the bottom lip
3- Make three dots to determine where the bow is and a dash along the fullest part of the bottom lip
4- Starting in the outer corners, connect the dots
5- Color in the rest of the lips from the outer line inward
6- Apply lipstick on top
7- Use reverse lip liner just outside the cupids bow and lower lip line to define and fence in your shape
So the next time you are shopping for a lip pencil, keep these tips in mind.
Do you feel smarter?
OUR FAVORITE LIP PENCILS