TRY THESE CLEANSING OILS WHEN YOU GET SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR FACE
Is 2015 the year you get serious about your skincare routine? Reader Barb asks on the Ask Sonia page....
My skin feels like the backside of an alligator's ass after I wash my face. I'm over 40. Am I fucked? What gives?
I Love Love Love Glossible,
Barb I am so happy you love, love Glossible! :)
Let's get serious Barb, you're fucked.
Listen, if you haven't discovered cleansing oils, girlfriend, you don't know what you're missing!
I have been using cleansing oils for about 8 years now. I discovered Shu Uemura's cleansing oils in what feels like a billion years ago and I haven't looked back since. So why are cleansing oils the serious girl's guide to great skin over 40? And which cleansing oils should you discover for 2015?
TREAT THE SKIN YOU HAVE
First of all, let me say, as an esthetician, TREAT THE SKIN YOU HAVE! What does that mean? What you need today may not be what you need tomorrow. Lifestyle, sleep, allergies and weather all play a role with how your skin looks and FEELS each and every day. But please note:
Currently I have 4 moisturizers sitting on my shelf and I use each one according to how my skin feels. I also have a couple of cleansing oils that I rotate back and forth with too, depending on season...and my mood.
WHAT IS A CLEANSING OIL?
AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE?
Cleansing oils are the passport to comfortable skin. A cleansing oil is pretty self explanatory...
A CLEANSING .....OIL.
When you use a cleansing oil on the skin to take off makeup & gunk of the day, the cleansing oil gently removes all traces of the dirt. One of the great benefits is that it keeps the skin hydrated, clean and uber soft.
Some cleansing oils use water, others you wipe off with just a damp washcloth. It's best to read the instructions as each one is different.
Cleansing oil ingredients can run far and wide. Finding the perfect cleansing oil is completely personal preference. I personally love to have a sensory experience when it comes to my skincare routine. It's one of the simple joys in life. If this sounds like you, you're gonna love using cleansing oils.
PRO TIP: Over the last several years, I have never seen more dry, dehydrated skin in my entire career. Sometimes it's the climate we live in but it's also how you treat your skin as well as your lifestyle. Incorrect skin care choices and overcleansing the skin is the one thing I see as being the biggest issue. Skin care is never meant to be squeaky clean, so don't treat your skin like your toilet bowl.
As we age oil production slows down. Some of the benefits of cleansing oils are:
- Cleansing oils won't strip your skin of precious oils. (Holla & Amen)
- You don't need a separate makeup remover and cleanser. One step cleansing.
- Your skin will feel comfortable,hydrated, balanced and radiant.
- Your skin will be able to accept moisturizer more effectively.
- Your makeup will go on much better.
- Helps with surface fine lines and wrinkles. (Have I sold you yet?)
MY FAVORITE CLEANSING OILS OF 2015
CLEANSING OILS I DON'T LIKE
I thought it may be helpful to tell you which ones I did care for too.
Since I meet so many women with different budgets in my makeup classes, I thought I would give the Garnier Cleansing Oil a try. Wasn't a fan. There wasn't anything luxury or oil like about it. I wasn't a huge fan of the Bosia one either. But some of my pro friends do like it.
SOME TIPS ON USING CLEANSING OILS
- Some cleansing oils are designed to be used with water & some are not. READ the directions.
- Don't expect a deep sudsy foam. At best you will get a milky type consistency. Completely normal.
- You may not think you are getting your skin clean. But you are.
- Cleansing oils are great to keep in your nightstand when you don't feel like getting your lazy ass out of bed to wash your face. But you will have to get up to get a washcloth.
- If you are super sensitive, stick with the Nude Skin Care Cleansing Oil GEL. So far I am having great success. It's more of a cleansing oil gel that's rather unique.
Happy cleansing! Let me know your thoughts. I would love to hear from you!