THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF HIGHLIGHTING & CONTOURING
In Friday’s post about The One Makeup Trend That Needs to Die, I didn’t get as much hate mail as I thought.
The verdict was split right down the middle. Most pro’s agreed…while the Instaartists screamed bloody murder. Which is fine because just because it’s popular, doesn’t make it right.
Shannon is yanked. She is also full on smart ass…which is why I love her. She posted the Ten Commandments of Highlighting & Contouring and I just HAD to share it with all of you.
Hey, it’s all good fun.
Shannon is a makeup artist ( Something You Makeup Artistry) and sassy pants from Dallas, Texas. And if ANYONE is gonna preach about highlighting & contouring, it should be a southern women.
Women from Texas LOVE their makeup..and if Shannon says the Highlighting and Contouring trend has gotten out of hand, well, I take it as gospel. LOL!
Since it’s Shannon’s birthday today, I thought I would feature her glorious “Ten Commandments of Highlighting & Contouring” on Glossible today. I hope you enjoy it.
If you are in Dallas Texas and want to make an appointment with her to learn how to properly highlight & contour your own face,…you can find her at her website SOMETHING YOU. She is a riot and super talented at bringing out your best features.
1. Thou shalt not use bronzer as contour.
Shadows are not tan, they have not been to the Bahamas.
2. Thou shalt take into consideration the time and place when contouring.
Pageant? Drag show? CNN? Tear it up…go full Kardashian.
Class? Church? General Public?
Go easy and remember that actual people are looking at your actual face (with their actual eyes)
Unless you want them to actually laugh at you, you should not look like you fell asleep on a Snickers bar.
3. Thou shalt step away from the sparkly shit when it comes to the highlighting step.
4. Thou shalt blend.
And blend again. And, Sweet Cosmetic Jesus, blend again. Especially on your damn nose…it looks like you rolled an Oreo down the thing for fun.
5. Thou shalt NOT use Instagram, Pinterest or YouTube as reference for how to contour YOUR face.
Call a pro, ask them how to best YOUR “bring your best face forward” and take some serious notes. And maybe some video. These girls know how to contour their own faces, not yours. Hire a pro!
6. Thou shalt remember to add colour to your “sclupted” face with a lovely shade of blush to bring it all together.
And then thou shalt BLEND.
7. Thou shalt step into the glorious sunlight with a mirror and take into consideration whether or not you’re actually pulling this off.
And then thou shalt BLEND.
8. Thou shalt always consider the tone of one’s own skin when choosing the proper contouring and highlighting products.
One shade does NOT fit all. Ever.
9. Thou shalt refrain from telling thine professional make up artist how to properly do their job.
Especially when it comes to Highlighting & Contouring, lest their eyes become permanently lodged in the backs of their skulls rendering them unable to finish your ridiculous face.